In 2007, the National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST) established the first independent performance benchmark for iris recognition and 3D facial recognition technology and determining the performance of 3D face and iris to be comparable. Simultaneously, CyberExtruder’s technological development expedited the pace for enabling this functionality by converting 2D images of varied and problematic quality into 3D models thus establishing the Company’s leadership in identity management technology solutions. CyberExtruder’s unique solutions have become an important resource for the intelligence, security and law enforcement communities engaged in mission critical facial recognition efforts.
In 2010, CyberExtruder embarked on its most ambitious identity management project to date: 3D facial recognition from sequential images. In its report to the Department of Homeland Security, the Company detailed Aureus 3D’s capacity to increase matching accuracy by more than 25 percent over the state-of-the-art 2D facial recognition products – with the largest improvement seen in the most problematic images where the subject is turned away from the camera by as much as 70 degrees.
Software constructs 3D models from 2D images
Aureus 3D is a new software product that improves the accuracy of facial recognition systems by taking a subject’s facial image and reconstructing it into a 3D format which factors in varied poses and facial expressions, and compensates for poor lighting and partial images. This patented technology significantly increases the likelihood of a match where poor quality images are involved. Most surveillance cameras are mounted overhead so they can follow a person’s movements through a scene. Because of this, individual frames taken from these cameras make it difficult, if not impossible, to identify the person unless they happen to look directly into the camera. When Aureus 3D begins to reconstructs a face, its patented processes are able to determine the person’s original pose relative to the camera. Having this information allows Aureus 3D to produce results which lead to matches when the subjects may be turned away from the camera as much as 70 degrees and a downward (or upward) angle of 25 degrees. No other system has been able to accomplish this.
Better models make better matches
Aureus 3D analyzes one (or more) recorded images of a person’s face it uses its vast knowledge of the human face, and its understanding of environmental factors, to craft a very unique 3D model of that person – a claim no other software package can make. This 3D model called a 3D facial template and is used to perform identification and verification tasks. Because nearly all databases of facial images only contain 2D photos, Aureus 3D is backwardly compatible with all these databases as well as all 2D face recognition systems.
Aureus 3D Features: Improve the accuracy of facial recognition systems
- Easy to use software that constructs a 3D likeness of the person in the photograph
- Easily overcomes a subject’s pose, problematic lighting, facial expressions and vague images
- Works with substandard images (below the ISO/IEC FCD 19794-5 specification)
- Backwards compatible with any facial recognition system
- Can be added to existing surveillance systems
- Use as a standalone workstation or networked environment
- Produces results in real-time
Aureus 3D Benefits: Increase the ability to match and identify persons of interest
- Resulting accuracy on a par with Iris Recognition
- Increases the likelihood of identification to legacy images in existing databases
- Improves likelihood of accurate verification when subjects are outdoors
- Improves the performance of the gallery when pose, lighting and expression are normalized
- Increases flexibility of the capturing camera
- Provides a broader spectrum of images that are usable for facial recognition
- Improves accuracy when probe and gallery images are obtained under different conditions
Aureus 3D makes your FR software perform better when working with poor images
- Available as a standalone or networked installation Once installed, Aureus 3D automatically processes images to be added to your database
- Aureus 3D is intuitive to use even for those not well-versed in facial recognition systems
- Backwards compatible with all facial recognition systems on the market
- Can be added to any video analytics, facial recognition or visitor management package
- Testing demonstrates a 26.5 percent accuracy increase — a valuable return on investment